https://www.xxzza1.com
20.1 C
Newcastle

VIDEO: Faulty gas refrigerator sparks caravan fire at Soldiers Point

SHARE

Fire and Rescue NSW (FRNSW) is issuing a timely warning after a faulty gas refrigerator sparked a caravan fire near Port Stephens on Wednesday.

Emergency services were called to Soldiers Point Road about 1.45pm on 31 January following reports of a blaze, which attracted the attention of several bystanders.

The mobile home was initially attached to a car, parked on a grass verge, when it ignited.

Thankfully, no one was inside at the time and no injuries occurred.

The owner, who lives nearby, was alerted to the emergency by a smoke alarm fitted to the caravan.

He immediately called Triple Zero (000) to alert crews.

“Liquid Petroleum Gas (LPG) is an excellent fuel for heating, cooking and powering camping refrigerators… and is safe if used and maintained correctly,” FRNSW Superintendent Adam Dewberry said.

“However, if stored or used incorrectly it can become extremely dangerous.

“Firefighters recommend that LPG equipment is inspected regularly, as fires are too often caused by a faulty or loose connection.

“It is pleasing to see a working smoke alarm was present inside this caravan.

“Fire crews remind all owners that NSW legislation requires them to have at least one smoke alarm where the bed is inside the van and one in the annex if people are sleeping there.”

FRNSW firefighters, assisted by NSW Rural Fire Service volunteers, contained and extinguished the fire in less than 45 minutes.

More safety information is available on the FRNSW website at https://www.fire.nsw.gov.au/page.php?id=9225

For more news stories:

Get all the latest Newcastle news, sport, real estate, entertainment, lifestyle and more delivered straight to your inbox with the Newcastle Weekly Daily Newsletter. Sign up here.

More Stories

Newcastle Weekly

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe to Newcastle Weekly. News, Community, Lifestyle, Property delivered direct to your inbox! 100% Local, 100% Free.

You have Successfully Subscribed!