The Rip Curl Newcastle Cup presented by Corona, the second stop on the World Surf League (WSL) 2021 Championship Tour (CT), is back in action today, thanks to three-to-five feet waves.
The women’s elimination round two will start on Tuesday 6 April, followed by men’s section and the women’s round of 16.
“We’ve arrived at Merewether Beach to find a jump in swell and cleaner than expected conditions,” WSL SVP of tours head of competition Jessi Miley-Dyer said.
“We have got clean waves and plenty of opportunity for boardriders.
“So, we’re going to get competition back underway.”
Participants in elimination round two are first up this morning.
Olympic qualifier Brisa Hennessy (CRI) will be in heat one against Keely Andrew (AUS) and Malia Manuel (HAW).
Sage Erickson (USA) is back on tour and, after a strong start in Maui, eager for a strong Australian leg.
She will face Johanne Defay (FRA) and Macy Callaghan (AUS) in heat two.
2015 WSL champion Adriano de Souza (BRA), who announced his retirement last year, will hope to place high in his final lap on the CT.
De Souza will be against Owen Wright (AUS) and injury replacement Matt Banting (AUS) in heat one of the elimination round.
CT rookie Matthew McGillivray (ZAF) will hope to save himself when he goes up against Michel Bourez (FRA) and Connor O’Leary (AUS) in heat three.
Rip Curl Newcastle Cup pres. by Corona Women’s Elimination Round 2 match-ups:
- HEAT 1: Malia Manuel (HAW) vs. Brisa Hennessy (CRI) vs. Keely Andrew (AUS)
- HEAT 2: Johanne Defay (FRA) vs. Sage Erickson (USA) vs. Macy Callaghan (AUS)
Rip Curl Newcastle Cup pres. by Corona Men’s Elimination Round 2 match-ups:
- HEAT 1: Owen Wright (AUS) vs. Adriano de Souza (BRA) vs. Matt Banting (AUS)
- HEAT 2: Julian Wilson (AUS) vs. Jack Robinson (AUS) vs. Mikey Wright (AUS)
- HEAT 3: Michel Bourez (FRA) vs. Matthew McGillivray (ZAF) vs. Connor O’Leary (AUS)
- HEAT 4: Conner Coffin (USA) vs. Jadson Andre (BRA) vs. Leonardo Fioravanti (ITA)