Being winter ready is not just about donning extra layers.
According to the Australian Competition Consumer Commission (ACCC), winter is also the time to check your homes’ heating accessories are in order too.
The independent authority has released a list of tips it hopes will keep all Australian homes ‘safe and warm’.
“Winter is here and that means products like heaters, electric blankets, hot water bottles and heat packs are coming out of storage or being purchased,” a spokesperson said.
“These products don’t just pose a safety risk if used or stored incorrectly, they can become unsafe when used together, or with other products.
“Our ‘well winter’ safety tips can help keep you and your family safe and warm.”
Each year, more than 50 people across Australia die from house fires and many more are injured. Most of the homes do not have working smoke alarms. Only working smoke alarms can provide early warning and time to escape. You lose your sense of smell when you are asleep. A working smoke alarm reduces your chance of dying in a house fire by half.
- Test your smoke alarm is working every month.
- Replace your alarm battery every year.
- Replace your smoke alarm every 10 years. If you move to a new house, check the alarm — the date of manufacture should be displayed on the smoke alarm.
Children’s clothing and nightwear with a ‘low fire danger’ label is still flammable, so always keep children away from open heat sources, like fireplaces and heaters. Multiple children are admitted to hospital every year with burns sustained from their clothing catching fire.
- Be cautious of children’s clothing purchased online, on holiday or received as gifts from overseas. These may not be subject to Australian standards.
- Keep your child away from open flames and heaters.
- Avoid buying loose fitting sleepwear, dressing gowns and clothing which could easily catch alight.
Hot water bottles
Hot water bottles are widely used for warmth or to help ease pain. They are manufactured from rubber or polyvinyl chloride (PVC) and can deteriorate with age. Each year, 200 people in Australia are treated for serious burns from using hot water bottles.
- Don’t overfill or use boiling water in your hot water bottle — use hot tap water.
- Once filled, avoid direct contact with your skin — use a fitted cover or wrap the bottle before use.
- Never leave on one body part for more than 20 minutes.
If you purchase a wheat pack, follow the heating instructions and never heat more than instructed. Homemade wheat bags can pose a fire and injury risk because the moisture content and volume of these bags is not known so there are no heating times to guide you. Ageing causes the organic fillings inside wheat packs to dry out and become more combustible.
- Do not heat and place the wheat pack on or in bedding. Blankets trap the product’s heat and may cause it to ignite.
- Allow the wheat pack to cool completely each time before reheating.
Candles, matches and lighters
Candles make your home smell nice, but they are among the most common cause of fires in a home. Blow out a candle before leaving the room or before going to sleep. Ensure the wick ember is no longer glowing.
Children are naturally inquisitive. Lighters and matches can be dangerous in the hands of children.
- Store matches and lighters in a safe place, out of reach of children.
Heaters need to be checked every year, no matter how old they are. Make sure there are no exposed wires or loose connections on the cables. Only use one appliance per power point and switch each off when not in use.
Gas heaters must be vented adequately as the carbon monoxide produced when the gas is burnt is odourless, colourless and deadly. It is particularly important to have gas heaters serviced regularly by a qualified tradesperson to ensure that there are no carbon monoxide leaks.
- Heaters should be placed on a flat, level surface.
Regular maintenance of fireplaces, combustion heaters, flues and chimneys must be undertaken by a qualified person a minimum of once a year (at the start of winter) to ensure that the heater or fireplace works properly and safely.
- Place a mesh screen in front of your fireplace to prevent sparks and wood falling out.
Heavy rainfall, cold temperatures and heaters all cause condensation that can lead to mould growth. Mould and dampness in homes can cause health problems. Any mould needs to be removed and the area kept ventilated to avoid regrowth.
Pregnant women, children and people with weakened immune systems or chronic lung diseases should not be present when mould is removed. Mould is not a major health hazard for most people — however, there are some important safety tips to follow when trying to remove mould and reduce the chance of mould regrowth.
- Open windows and doors each day to ventilate your house and reduce the growth of mould.
- Don’t let it settle in — clean up mould as soon as you notice it.
- Scrub mould off hard surfaces using soapy water. The physical action of scrubbing is the most important component as all the mould must be physically removed to prevent regrowth.
- Make sure you scrub up to 50 cm from the edge of the visible mould as there may be new growth that is not visible to the naked eye.
- Clean up any mould residue caused by the scrubbing. Use a damp cloth or vacuum cleaner with a HEPA filter.
- Dry the area and then find and fix the source of the moisture.
- If you have a fireplace in your home make sure the chimney is clean, and its properly ventilated.
- Never use petrol, oil or kerosene to help light the fire. They could cause an explosion.
- Never use a gas heater or BBQ made for outdoor use inside your home.
- Always supervise children and pets when heaters are in use.
- Keep heaters well clear from items that might burn. A minimum of one-metre clearance from clothes, bedding, furniture, curtains and other combustibles is recommended.
- Never leave children alone with any open flame.
- Keep lit candles away from any combustible material including; curtains, bedding, clothing.
- If you notice a burning smell, let the bag cool and then dispose of the bag — it is no longer safe to use.