Maitland Road at Hexham will become another focal point for Transport for NSW (TfNSW) this week, along with the Black Hill to Tomago project.
As a result, motorists are advised of changed overnight traffic conditions to carry out road resurfacing between the Newcastle Inner City Bypass and Hexham Railway Station.
TfNSW is overseeing the work, which includes removing old road pavements, asphalting, line marking and barrier replacement, from 7pm to 5am until Thursday 15 February, weather permitting.
Resurfacing then continues from early March over three weeks of night shifts.
“The work zones are spread throughout the 6km length of the site on both the northbound, southbound carriageways and in the median,” a TfNSW spokesperson said.
“They’ll be reduced to a single lane in each direction, as well as a reduced speed limit of 40km/h, for the safety of workers and motorists.
“On occasion, a contra-flow will be in place.
“Over Size Over Mass (OSOM) operators are requested to connect to UHF channel 45 on approach and follow the directions of the traffic controllers.
“OSOM vehicles will be required to stop in the designated waiting bays until clear (located on Maitland Road, opposite Mangrove Road for outbound vehicles heading away from Newcastle and Maitland Road/New England Highway, 300m north of Hexham Bridge exit ramp for inbound vehicles heading toward Newcastle).”
Meanwhile, there are further changed traffic conditions on the New England Highway to continue construction work for the M1 Pacific Motorway extension to Raymond Terrace.
That requires lane closures and temporary speed reductions at the following locations and times:
- Pacific Highway northbound and southbound shoulder closures north of Tomago Road from 7am to 5pm, Monday 12 February to Friday 16 February and from 8pm to 5am, Monday 12 February to Friday 16 February
- Maitland Road/New England Highway eastbound shoulder closure west of Hexham from 8pm to 5am, Monday 12 February and Tuesday 13 February
- Lenaghans Drive alternating northbound and southbound closure under stop-go traffic management from 7am to 5pm, Monday 12 February to Friday 16 February
- Pacific Motorway M1 northbound and southbound shoulder closure south of John Renshaw Drive from 8pm to 5am, Monday 12 February to Thursday 15 February
- Anderson Drive to New England Highway onramp shoulder closure from 7am to 8pm, Monday 12 February to Friday 16 February. Nightwork will be carried out from 8pm to 5am, Friday 16 February
“We’re advising motorists to allow extra travel time and follow the directions of signs and traffic controllers at all locations,” the spokesperson said.
“As usual, we thank everyone for their patience during this time.”
For the latest traffic updates download the Live Traffic NSW app, visit livetraffic.com or phone 132 701.
For more news stories:
- NSW Government moves to end PEP-11 once and for all
- Strong support for nurses, midwives over paid parking dispute
- Man caught with $22,000 worth of drugs in Newy
Get all the latest Newcastle news, sport, real estate, entertainment, lifestyle and more delivered straight to your inbox with the Newcastle Weekly Daily Newsletter. Sign up here.