23.9 C
Newcastle
Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Newy blood donors respond to urgent plea

When the Redcross Blood Service issued an urgent call out for donors last week, they never imagined they’d receive the support they did.

Seven days after pleading with Australians to roll up their sleeves and donate O+ and A+ blood, the national service was inundated with support.

Sadly, throughout November, Redcross Blood Service had seen a lot of donors cancelling or not attending their appointments.

This led to a 7% increase in demand for blood across Australia.

Despite common misconceptions that only rare blood types suffer low stocks, this year it was the most common types, O+ and A+, that was in low supply.

Within seven days however, the national blood bank had made 50,000 blood donation appointments, well above their hoped 31,000 figure.

Redcross Blood Service spokesperson Jemma Falkenmire said public support had so far been overwhelming.

“We received so much support,” she said.

“We made around 50,000 blood donation appointments over the past week.

“We’re now sitting at around four days supply for these blood types, five is where we like to be.

“In Newcastle and Maitland we beat our target by almost 100 additional donations.”

Christmas, however, was not the time to be lax Ms Falkenmire said.

“A big thank you to all those that responded to our call out,” she said.

“Leading up to Christmas however, we will still need lots of people giving blood on a daily basis.”