23.3 C
Newcastle
Sunday, January 24, 2021

Newcastle’s COVID testing blitz

The people of Newcastle have blitzed COVID-19 testing after boom gates closed on a drive-through clinic at McDonald Jones Stadium yesterday (Sunday 9 May).

With more than 7,700 people tested at the ten-day clinic, Hunter New England Health, Public Health Physician, Dr David Durrheim congratulated residents for their efforts.

“Pleasingly, we have had no positive cases so far but some results are still being processed,” he said.

“With the large number of people being tested across the district it can take up to 72 hours to receive results, so we urge people who have yet to hear their results to be patient while they wait.”

Dr Durrheim also warned that while it’s great news that no new cases have been found, people should be careful not to relax and undo the good work that has been done.

“These communities have done an amazing job increasing testing rates to give us a better picture of whether the virus is currently being transmitted in the community,” he said.

“It’s good news but there is a possibility the virus can be reintroduced so there is still a need for vigilance with social distancing, good hygiene and testing to continue for anyone with symptoms, especially as restrictions ease.”

Anyone who has experienced fever or the recent onset of respiratory symptoms, including a cough, shortness of breath or a sore throat should contact their GP, or go to to their local hospital or COVID-19 clinic for testing.

Clinics at Calvary Mater Newcastle, John Hunter, Maitland, and Belmont hospitals continue to operate for Newcastle and Hunter locals.