We’ve found a quick and easy recipe for mushroom paella for you to make for a simple winter weeknight meal.
Recipe by Miguel Maestre for Australian Mushrooms | australianmushrooms.com.au
- 250g field mushrooms, sliced
- 600ml mushroom stock (to make stock soak a handful of dry mushrooms in veggie stock, or use stock of choice)
- 250g Spanish rice
- Chives for garnish
- 2 button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 radishes, thinly sliced
- 50g grated manchego cheese
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges, to serve
- 2 large ripe oxheart tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 2 large roasted red capsicums from jar (piquillo)
- 3 portobello mushrooms, ripped into pieces
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/2 bunch parsley
- 1/2 bunch chives
- 25ml olive oil
- 1 pinch saffron threads
- 1 Tbsp smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper
To make the sofrito: Place all ingredients in a food processor and process to a pesto consistency.
Heat a 30cm frypan or paella pan on high heat. Add sofrito and cook until tomatoes start to become juicy, 3-4 minutes. Add field mushrooms, mushroom stock and bring to the boil.
Sprinkle in rice and reduce to a medium heat. Continue cooking for about 16-18 minutes. Do not stir! When rice is tender and liquid has almost fully reduced (there should still be some liquid in the paella-pan), cook for a further 2 minutes to achieve ‘soccarrada’ (crust on the bottom of the pan).
Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper and garnish with chives, thinly sliced button mushrooms, radish and grated manchego cheese. Squeeze over lemon juice just before serving.
For more recipes: