A total of 37 Hunter students were honoured today at the annual Mentor Support Network (MSN) scholarship presentation at the Newcastle Harness Racing Club.
The pupils represented a number of regional schools and educational institutions on Tuesday 9 March, including Callaghan Campus (Jesmond, Wallsend and Waratah), Cooks Hill Campus, Hunter Trade College, Lake Macquarie High, Maitland High, Morisset High, Newcastle High and St Francis Xavier’s College.
MSN chair Shayne Connell said the function was one of the highlights of the year for the organisation, with many civic and political dignitaries attending.
“We are very fortunate to have great sponsors and supporters, which enables MSN to provide scholarships to assist high school students who require a helping hand in their studies and school activities,” he explained.
The Mentor Support Network was established in 2002.
It helps connect experience with potential through advocating and promoting the many benefits of mentoring and the significant impact positive role models can have on guiding young people’s lives.
“A key initiative for MSN is providing educational scholarship programs designed to assist young people achieve their education and career goals,” Mr Connell said.
“About 290 scholarships, totalling more than $550,000, have been presented to students across the Newcastle, Lake Macquarie, Maitland and Port Stephens regions since we started operating 19 years ago.”
Another highlight this afternoon was the presentation of Life Membership to Jon Chin, who recently stepped down as MSN chair.
Students who received scholarships:
- Callaghan Campus (Jesmond) – Ruby Young, Roze Kara Yousef, Rand Kara Yousef, Arman Zolfaghari
- Callaghan Campus (Wallsend) – Daniel Carr, Cameron Gould, Rory Hughes, Aleks Kostyra
- Callaghan College (Waratah) – Coumba Ba, Wilona Curk, Yenework Demelash, Toryalai Mohammad, Helene Fungulo Regine
- Cooks Hill Campus – Big Picture – Chayce Baker, Taylah Gibson, Indie Knight, Manaia Meki, Makayla Murphy, Dylan Webb
- Hunter Trade College – Joshua Richardson, Jacob Wren
- Lake Macquarie High School – Levani Boulton, Tyra Boulton, Lars Connors, Libby Wilkes
- Maitland High School – Tristan Grunsell, Mianeikia Lei Harris, Alex Harvey, Tyson Johnson, Hannah McDeed
- Morisset High School – Josephine Hanger
- Newcastle High School – Emily McGlynn, Angus McKay, Tensin Norzin
- St Francis Xavier’s College – Leuan Evans, Catherine Matabiro, Elul Tecle