After a wild weekend, Newcastle and the Hunter region have been warned that there is still a risk of more flash flooding and heavy rain as we move into today and Tuesday.
A weather warning issued by the Bureau of Meteorology this morning, Monday 22 March, stated a strong high pressure system over the southern Tasman Sea continues to drive widespread and persistent rain onto the NSW coast.
It added a low pressure trough in the state’s west is deepening, bringing rain areas to the northern inland today.
In this region, heavy rain is possible from this morning, but becomes more likely later this afternoon and into the evening, and then it may spread southeast overnight.
Support for those affected by the flood emergency has started to roll in, too.
Newcastle Permanent is offering its customers a financial relief package to those impacted by flooding.
“Newcastle Permanent’s purpose is to be here for our customers and here for good, right across our footprint,” CEO Bernadette Inglis said.
“We hope the financial support measures will provide some relief to local communities and our customers across NSW who have been affected by this natural disaster.
“The relief measures include access to in-advance loan repayments or funds in Term Deposits, or restructuring loan repayments to help customers to restore their homes or replace damaged items. Any customers who need assistance should contact our Customer Contact Centre on 13 19 87 to discuss their options so we can assist them to identify which options would help in their individual situation.”
Several roads around the region are likely to be impacted over the next few days.
A list of road closures is below.
Shortland Esplanade is closed due to a landslide.
Anderson Drive in Beresfield is also closed.
- Weir Road, Barnsley
- Kalaroo Road, Redhead
- Wangi Road, Toronto
- Pillapai Road, Brightwaters
- Maitland Vale Road – near the RFS – 858 Maitland Vale Road, Rosebrook
- Woodberry Road from Alnwick Road to Nilands Lane
- Allandale Road, Allandale
- Raymond Terrace Road
- Oakhampton Road, Oakhampton
- Duckenfield Road, Berry Park
- McFarlanes Road, Berry Park
- Mt Vincent Road, East Maitland
- Dickenson Road, Melville
- Paterson Road, Woodville
- Brush Farm Road has from Pitnacree Road to Morpeth Road
- Cessnock Road, Gillieston Heights, Testers Hollow
- All roads in Millers Forest are all closed due to water over the road: Scotch Creek Road, Martins Wharf Road, Prices Road, Cross Road, Edithville Road, Manerys Road, Reeds Road, Dockyard Road, David Road, Nalleys Creek Road, Alnwick Road to Lamb Street
- Old North Road, Rothbury
- Richmond Vale Road, Richmond Vale
- James Lane, Sawyers Gully
- Alkira Avenue, Cessnock
- Yilgarn Avenue, Cessnock
- Pangari Parade, Cessnock
- Subiaco Avenue, Cessnock
- Anzac Avenue, Cessnock
- Government Circuit, Kearsley
- Watagan Creek Road, Laguna
- Dairy Arm Road, Laguna
- Murrays Run Road, Laguna
- Great North Road, Laguna
- Yango Creek Road, Laguna
- Upper Yango Creek Road, Laguna
- Milsons Arm Road, Wollombi
- Narone Creek Road, Wollombi
- Paynes Crossing Road, Wollombi
- Cessnock Road, Testers Hollow
- Fullerton Cove Road, Fullerton Cove
- Cabbage Tree Road, Williamtown
- Nelson Bay Road and Medowie Road roundabaout, Williamtown
- Lemon Tree Passage Road, Salt Ash – between Michael Drive and Rookes Road
- Gan Gan Road, One Mile
- Nelson Bay Road, One Mile – between Salamander Way and Frost Road
- Port Stephens Drive, Anna Bay – between Salamander Way and Nelson Bay Road
- Marine Drive, Final Bay – near Barry Park
- Tomaree Headland – Shoal Bay Road to boat ramp
- Riverside Drive, Karuah
- Old Swan Bay Road, Twelve Mile Creek – Medowie Road to Pond Road
- Newline Road, Eagleton – between Six Mile Road and East Seaham Road
- Clarence Town Road, Seaham – from Dixon Street intersection (connects to East Seaham Road)
- High Street, Wallalong
- Wallalong Road, Wallalong – from Morpeth Street to Paterson Road
- Hinton Road, Hinton – near Mount Kanwary Public School
- Moorooba Crescent, Nelson Bay – near Stockton Pond
- Lily Hill Road, Nelson Bay
- Tenamby Road, Nelson Bay
- Foreshore Drive, Corlette
- Wards Way, Salamander Bay – near Wanda Avenue
- Hunter Street, Raymond Terrace – corner of Glenelg Street
- Bourke Street, Raymond Terrace
- Adelaide Street, Raymond Terrace
- Newline Road, Raymond Terrace through to Seaham
- Newline Road, Raymond Terrace — between Beaton Avenue and King Park
- Elizabeth Avenue, Raymond Terrace
To stay up-to-date with the road closures, go to Live Traffic NSW or your local council’s Facebook page or website.
Members of the public seeking emergency assistance during a flood or storm should call the NSW SES on 132 500, or visit their website.
For all life-threatening emergencies, residents are reminded call Triple Zero (000).