15.8 C

Man charged with high-range PCA after driving erratically in Paterson


A man six times over the blood alcohol limit, while driving in Paterson, was among the significant incidents recorded during the long weekend.

The state-wide policing operation wrapped up at 11.5pm on Monday 10 June, with two lives lost on NSW roads.

And, with double demerits in force for the period, the high-visibility campaign saw officers targeting speeding, drink and drug driving, mobile phone, helmet and other traffic offences.

Across the state, police issued 4,209 speed infringements, attended 255 major crashes, conducted 153,767 breath tests with 237 people charged with drink-driving, and registered 654 positive drug detections.

In the Northern Region, which takes in the Hunter, there were 2,093 transgressions.

Of the 30,176 breath tests, 74 drivers tested positive, including the offender at Paterson.

About 3.30pm on Saturday 8 June, numerous calls were made to police after a Mitsubishi Outlander was seen swerving along Tocal Road.

Members of the public followed the vehicle to a service station on Paterson Road, Bolwarra, where they observed the driver open his door and allegedly fall onto the roadway.

Officers attached to Maitland Highway Patrol attended.

They located the man, 48, exiting the service station.

He was subjected to a roadside breath test, which returned a positive result.

The male was arrested and taken to Maitland Police Station.

There, a breath analysis returned a reading of 0.307.

He was charged with drive with high-range PCA and will appear before Maitland Local Court on Wednesday 10 July.

Meanwhile, just before 10pm on the same day, officers attached to Hunter Valley Highway Patrol were conducting a stationary RBT on Mayne Street, Murrurundi.

They signalled for the driver of a Holden Colorado to enter the testing sight.

Police will allege the man behind the wheel did not stop and accelerated away.

A pursuit was initiated, which continued towards Willow Tree at speeds in excess of 175km/h.

The vehicle came to a stop on Merriwa Road and the driver – a 26-year-old man – was arrested.

He was subjected to a roadside breath test, returning a positive result.

Officers escorted him to Quirindi Police Station where a breath analysis returned a reading of 0.173.

He was charged with police pursuit – not stop – drive at speed and drive with high range PCA.

He was given conditional bail to appear before Scone Local Court on Wednesday 10 July.

Traffic and Highway Patrol Commander Assistant Commissioner Brett McFadden said the type of behaviour shown by a small number of motorists was unacceptable.

“While the rest of the state abides by the road rules, these few irresponsible drivers are extremely lucky they did not harm themselves or other road users,” he stated.

“Over the weekend, two people lost their lives in separate crashes at Bateau Bay and Tomingley.

“While this is significantly less than the same period last year, it is still one life too many.

“Even though the operation has now concluded, rest assured – we will continue to have our officers proactively patrolling the streets to take the appropriate action against those who drive dangerously.”

For more news stories:

Get all the latest Newcastle news, sport, real estate, entertainment, lifestyle and more delivered straight to your inbox with the Newcastle Weekly Daily Newsletter. Sign up here.

More Stories

Newcastle Weekly

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe to Newcastle Weekly. News, Community, Lifestyle, Property delivered direct to your inbox! 100% Local, 100% Free.

You have Successfully Subscribed!