14.6 C

Man charged with murder of Graham Cameron at Stockton


Police have charged a man over the alleged murder of Graham Cameron, which took place at Stockton last year.

Just after 5am on Monday 26 July 2021, emergency services were called to Fullerton Street following reports of a unit fire.

On arrival, officers from Fire & Rescue NSW found the premises well alight.

However, they managed to extinguish the blaze a short time later.

In a search of the premises, the body of a man was discovered.

He’s since been identified as 54-year-old Graham Cameron, the unit’s resident and sole occupant.

A crime scene was established by officers from Newcastle City Police District and subsequently examined by specialist police who determined the fire had been deliberately lit.

The matter was subsequently referred to detectives from the State Crime Command’s Homicide Squad, who established Strike Force Childowla to further investigate the circumstances of the incident.

Following extensive inquiries, detectives – assisted by Northern Region Operation Support Group (OSG) – executed a search warrant at a home on Pitt Street, Stockton, about 6.30am on Wednesday 5 October.

A 22-year-old man was arrested and taken to Raymond Terrace Police Station, where he was subsequently charged with murder.

He was later refused bail to appear at Raymond Terrace Local Court.

“A post-mortem examination was conducted, which revealed Mr Cameron had been murdered,” Homicide Squad Commander Detective Superintendent Danny Doherty said.

“Strike Force Childowla was then established in a joint operation with the Homicide Squad and Newcastle City Police District investigators.

“As a result of that, and after a very protracted and complex investigation, with many witnesses and lots of lines of inquiry, as well as the assistance of the public and Newcastle community, a 22-year-old man was arrested [today].

“I believe the men were known to each other as casual acquaintances.

“And, even though it was originally thought Mr Cameron died from the fire, we can now disclose – following the post-mortem – that he was actually stabbed.

“The blaze was deliberately lit to disguise, or cover, the circumstances of the murder.

“As well, it was an attempt to destroy any evidence.

“However, through the investigators’ tenacity and determination, as well as forensic proof, we were able to make an arrest.”

Investigations under Strike Force Childowla continue.

For more news stories:

More Stories

Newcastle Weekly

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe to Newcastle Weekly. News, Community, Lifestyle, Property delivered direct to your inbox! 100% Local, 100% Free.

You have Successfully Subscribed!