First impressions count, so, what better way to make a bold statement than with a grand entrance to your home.
Adding a dash of colour to your front door and porch accessories is a simple way to wow your guests by creating an inviting atmosphere.
Contrasting colours or colours working together tonally can play an integral role in the balance of your home’s exterior.
Start by selecting your door colour, then introduce a range of accessories in complementary colours, such a doormat, potted or hanging plants, seating, lighting and wall hangings.
Try these DIY projects, courtesy of Dulux Australia.
Pot and pot stand
- Prep the pot for painting by sanding to remove old flaky paint and mould.
- Choose your preferred Duramax Dulux colour and apply in light, mist coats.
- Step back and admire your transformation!
- Gather your painting supplies: Dulux Aquanamel in your chosen colour(s), Dulux 1Step Prep, drop sheet, high-quality synthetic brush for cutting in, short nap (5-10mm) roller, roller tray, 400 grit sandpaper, painter’s tape and old cloths.
- After sanding down the surface, apply one coat of Dulux 1Step Prep.
- Start painting by cutting in around the edges of the door using Dulux Aquanamel.
- Apply Dulux Aquanamel to the surface using short, horizontal brush strokes.
- Once you’ve completed an area, while the paint is still wet, lightly smooth over the painted section with long brush strokes – but don’t overdo or reload the brush; a few strokes will smooth the surface.
- Use a paint roller for the broad section of the door. Allow 2 hours to dry, then give the surface a light sand with 400 grit sandpaper.
- Repeat steps 4 and 5 for the second coat.