There’ll be no action in the Rip Curl Newcastle Cup presented by Corona, the second stop on the World Surf League (WSL) 2021 Championship Tour (CT), today due to the small surf on offer at Merewether Beach.
Event organisers will reconvene at 6.45am (AEST), on Thursday 8 April 8, to make the next call.
“Unfortunately, we’ve been left with small surf here at Merewether after the good bump in swell yesterday,” WSL SVP of tours and head of competition Jessi Miley-Dyer said.
“We’re still confident that the forecast for the remaining four days of the window looks promising.
“So, we will come back and see what’s on offer tomorrow.”
When competition resumes, the 16 heats of the men’s round of 32 will hit the water with some massive match-ups to keep an eye on.
First up, two-time world champion Gabriel Medina (BRA) faces fellow goofy-foot Connor O’Leary (AUS).
Local wildcard Jackson Baker (AUS) will have his work cut out when he takes on reigning world titleholder Italo Ferreira (BRA) in heat nine.
The women’s event is left with only eight competitors, who’ll contest the quart-finals.
The opening heat will be a huge one for rookie Isabella Nichols (AUS) as she takes on seven-time WSL champion Stephanie Gilmore (AUS).
Reigning four-time WSL world champion Carissa Moore (HAW) will lock horns with a former winner in Newcastle, Johanne Defay (FRA), in heat three.
Rip Curl Newcastle Cup pres. by Corona Women’s quarter-final match-ups:
- HEAT 1: Stephanie Gilmore (AUS) v Isabella Nichols (AUS)
- HEAT 2: Keely Andrew (AUS) v Courtney Conlogue (USA)
- HEAT 3: Carissa Moore (HAW) v Johanne Defay (FRA)
- HEAT 4: Bronte Macaulay (AUS) v Caroline Marks (USA)
- Rip Curl Newcastle Cup pres. by Corona Men’s round of 32 match-ups:
- HEAT 1: Gabriel Medina (BRA) v Connor O’Leary (AUS)
- HEAT 2: Frederico Morais (PRT) v Adrian Buchan (AUS)
- HEAT 3: Jeremy Flores (FRA) v Adriano de Souza (BRA)
- HEAT 4: Julian Wilson (AUS) v Jack Robinson (AUS)
- HEAT 5: John John Florence (HAW) v Morgan Cibilic (AUS)
- HEAT 6: Seth Moniz (HAW) v Wade Carmichael (AUS)
- HEAT 7: Ryan Callinan (AUS) v Crosby Colapinto (USA)
- HEAT 8: Owen Wright (AUS) v Miguel Pupo (BRA)
- HEAT 9: Italo Ferreira (BRA) v Jackson Baker (AUS)
- HEAT 10: Michel Bourez (FRA) v Griffin Colapinto (USA)
- HEAT 11: Kanoa Igarashi (JPN) v Ethan Ewing (AUS)
- HEAT 12: Caio Ibelli (BRA) v Deivid Silva (BRA)
- HEAT 13: Jordy Smith (ZAF) v Alex Ribeiro (BRA)
- HEAT 14: Peterson Crisanto (BRA) v Conner Coffin (USA)
- HEAT 15: Jack Freestone (AUS) v Yago Dora (BRA)
- HEAT 16: Filipe Toledo (BRA) v Leonardo Fioravanti (ITA)