https://www.xxzza1.com
22.9 C
Newcastle

Lake Mac resident ‘shocked’ while installing Christmas lights

SHARE

One Lake Macquarie resident is counting their lucky stars after receiving a shock while installing Christmas lights on an outdoor tree.

The local attempted to throw the decorations, from the ground to the top of the branches, at a block of units in Charlestown.

But, they became caught on active powerlines instead.

The Christmas lights caught on the powerlines at Charlestown. Photo: Ausgrid

The person then tried to remove the Christmas lights, without disconnecting the power, resulting in a jolt.

The incident, which occurred on Sunday 3 December, has prompted Ausgrid to issue a public safety warning.

“We’re urging all customers to follow some basic steps to make sure their Christmas lights are being installed safely,” group executive of safety, delivery and operations Sam Sofi said.

“We are thankful on this occasion the local wasn’t seriously hurt.

“However, any contact with electricity is putting your life at risk.

“There are no second chances.

“Physical contact, or even close proximity, to live electricity has the potential to cause serious injury or death.

“Our number one priority is the safety of the community.

“So, the last thing we want to see is anyone being injured or worse.

“Please never attach lights or decorations directly onto or close to any electrical equipment, including powerlines, power poles or the service wires.”

Ausgrid’s top Christmas safety tips:

  • Closely inspect Christmas display power cords and bulbs before turning on the lights
  • Never attach lights or decorations to any electrical equipment, including power lines, power poles or the service wires running from the street poles to your home
  • Only use “outdoor display” lights outside and use tape, cable ties or clamps instead of nails to affix them into place
  • Check your smoke detectors are working and ensure you have a safety switch in your meter box
  • Unravel any coiled power cords to prevent them over-heating
  • Don’t overload power points or power boards by piggy-backing double adaptors
  • Turn off and unplug your outdoor Christmas lights when it rains, when you leave home and/or when heading to bed

If you see an electrical hazard or receive an electric shock, phone Ausgrid immediately on 13 13 88.

In a life-threatening situation, dial 000.

For more news stories:

Get all the latest Newcastle news, sport, real estate, entertainment, lifestyle and more delivered straight to your inbox with the Newcastle Weekly Daily Newsletter. Sign up here.

More Stories

Newcastle Weekly

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe to Newcastle Weekly. News, Community, Lifestyle, Property delivered direct to your inbox! 100% Local, 100% Free.

You have Successfully Subscribed!