Organisers of the Rip Curl Newcastle Cup presented by Corona have called off competition for today and tomorrow due to small surf.
The second stop on the World Surf League (WSL) 2021 Championship Tour (CT) hit the waves at Merewether Beach on Thursday 1 April, with Novocastrian Ryan Callinan producing the standout performance of the opening round.
However, there’ll be no action on Good Friday or Saturday 3 April.
With a promising forecast for next week, and a bigger swell, organisers have opted to wait until conditions improve before restarting with the men’s and women’s elimination round two.
“As expected, the surf has continued to drop overnight and there isn’t much on offer for competitors this morning,” WSL SVP of tours and head of competition Jessi Miley-Dyer said.
“It looks like these conditions will continue through tomorrow as well, so we are calling tomorrow off and will come back on Sunday and make another call then.”
When the event resumes, the stakes will be high as surfers enter the dreaded elimination round where a loss will cost a competitor a last-place finish at the Rip Curl Newcastle Cup.
Heat two of the men’s section sees Julian Wilson (AUS) taking on Aussie young guns Jack Robinson and Mikey Wright.
French representative Johanne Defay will have the tough task of overcoming Sage Erickson (USA) and CT sophomore Macy Callaghan (AUS) if she’s to progress into the round of 16 when competition resumes.
WSL event organisers are expected to reconvene on Sunday 4 April and make the next call on competition at 7.15am (AEST).
Rip Curl Newcastle Cup pres. by Corona Men’s Seeding round 1 results:
- HEAT 1: Deivid Silva (BRA) 11.10 DEF. Kanoa Igarashi (JPN) 7.20, Conner Coffin (USA) 4.96
- HEAT 2: Filipe Toledo (BRA) 11.00 DEF. Morgan Cibilic (AUS) 10.70, Jadson Andre (BRA) 9.30
- HEAT 3: John John Florence (HAW) 14.56 DEF. Yago Dora (BRA) 12.73, Mikey Wright (AUS) 12.00
- HEAT 4: Frederico Morais (PRT) 12.27 DEF. Jordy Smith (ZAF) 11.17, Matt Banting (AUS) 10.90
- HEAT 5: Crosby Colapinto (USA) 10.74 DEF. Gabriel Medina (BRA) 10.27, Matthew McGillivray (ZAF) 8.16
- HEAT 6: Italo Ferreira (BRA) 12.23 DEF. Jackson Baker (AUS) 11.50, Jack Robinson (AUS) 9.33
- HEAT 7: Jeremy Flores (FRA) 11.84 DEF. Adrian Buchan (AUS) 11.67, Connor O’Leary (AUS) 8.53
- HEAT 8: Peterson Crisanto (BRA) 10.84 DEF. Alex Ribeiro (BRA) 8.67, Owen Wright (AUS) 8.13
- HEAT 9: Ethan Ewing (AUS) 11.77 DEF. Wade Carmichael (AUS) 10.60, Julian Wilson (AUS) 10.53
- HEAT 10: Ryan Callinan (AUS) 15.26 DEF. Griffin Colapinto (USA) 12.50, Leonardo Fioravanti (ITA) 8.37
- HEAT 11: Miguel Pupo (BRA) 10.50 DEF. Jack Freestone (AUS) 9.40, Michel Bourez (FRA) 7.77
- HEAT 12: Caio Ibelli (BRA) 10.54 DEF. Seth Moniz (HAW) 8.86, Adriano de Souza (BRA) 8.84
Rip Curl Newcastle Cup pres. by Corona Men’s elimination round 2 match-ups:
- HEAT 1: Owen Wright (AUS) vs. Adriano de Souza (BRA) vs. Matt Banting (AUS)
- HEAT 2: Julian Wilson (AUS) vs. Jack Robinson (AUS) vs. Mikey Wright (AUS)
- HEAT 3: Michel Bourez (FRA) vs. Matthew McGillivray (ZAF) vs. Connor O’Leary (AUS)
- HEAT 4: Conner Coffin (USA) vs. Jadson Andre (BRA) vs. Leonardo Fioravanti (ITA)
Rip Curl Newcastle Cup pres. by Corona Women’s seeding round 1 results:
- HEAT 1: Sally Fitzgibbons (AUS) 14.00 DEF. Nikki Van Dijk (AUS) 10.27, Macy Callaghan (AUS) 8.44
- HEAT 2: Tyler Wright (AUS) 13.37 DEF. Lakey Peterson (USA) 10.50, Keely Andrew (AUS) 8.90
- HEAT 3: Carissa Moore (HAW) 13.73 DEF. Philippa Anderson (AUS) 10.70, Sage Erickson (USA) 10.13
- HEAT 4: Stephanie Gilmore (AUS) 13.50 DEF. Bronte Macaulay (AUS) 9.27, Johanne Defay (FRA) 8.56
- HEAT 5: Caroline Marks (USA) 14.93 DEF. Courtney Conlogue (USA) 11.10, Brisa Hennessy (CRI) 10.10
- HEAT 6: Isabella Nichols (AUS) 9.84 DEF. Tatiana Weston-Webb (BRA) 9.73, Malia Manuel (HAW) 8.14
- Rip Curl Newcastle Cup pres. by Corona Women’s elimination round 2 match-ups:
- HEAT 1: Malia Manuel (HAW) vs. Brisa Hennessy (CRI) vs. Keely Andrew (AUS)
- HEAT 2: Johanne Defay (FRA) vs. Sage Erickson (USA) vs. Macy Callaghan (AUS)