There’s no better season than summer to enjoy a colourful variety of juicy, fresh fruit and crisp salads. Nutritional and flavoursome? Sign us up!
Ultimate summer fruit platter
Recipe courtesy sydneymarkets.com.au
Prep: 25 mins + chilling time | Serves: 6-8
For the fruit salad
- 1 ripe mango
- 200g cherries
- 125g raspberries
- 125g blueberries
- 8 plump strawberries, hulled
- 2 ripe nectarines, halved and cut into wedges
- 2 peaches, halved and cut into wedges
- 4 apricots, halved and stones removed
- 3 passionfruit, halved
- Edible flowers, to serve, if liked
For the honeycomb cream
- 1 cup thickened cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup thick Greek-style natural yoghurt
- 3 x 50g chocolate honeycomb bars, roughly chopped
- To make honeycomb cream, using an electric hand-mixer, whip cream and vanilla until soft peaks form. Stir in yoghurt and honeycomb. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour before serving.
- Place mango, stem-side down on a board. Cut downwards close to the stone and slice off the mango cheeks from the mango. Cut a honeycomb pattern into the flesh (but don’t cut through the skin). Press underside to open up the mango flesh.
- Arrange the fruit on a large serving platter. Scatter with a few edible flowers if liked. Serve with the honeycomb cream.
Avocado, beetroot, carrot & spinach rainbow salad
This is an edited extract from Eat Your Greens by Pete Evans, published by Plum, RRP $39.99, photography by William Meppem.
Serves: 2-4 as a side
- 1 avocado, cut into 1cm dice
- 1 large beetroot, grated
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 2 large handfuls of baby spinach leaves
- 1 handful of chopped mint
- 1 handful of chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 50 g (1/3 cup) pumpkin and sunflower seeds (activated if possible), toasted
For the dressing
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 French shallot, finely chopped
- 3 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place all the dressing ingredients in a small bowl and whisk to combine.
- Place all the salad ingredients in a serving bowl. Just before serving, pour the dressing over the salad and lightly toss.