Kids stuck at home, bored? Get them into the kitchen to help you whip up an all-time classic – pancakes.
Thick and fluffy strawberry pikelets
Recipe and image courtesy of Queensland Strawberries
- 3 large eggs
- 300g thick unsweetened Greek yoghurt
- 1/2 cup wholemeal self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup white self-raising flour
- 100g fresh Queensland strawberries, smashed
- Butter or rice bran oil for frying
- 150g unsalted butter, softened
- Large handful chopped Queensland strawberries
- 100g fresh Queensland strawberries, sliced
- Strawberry butter
- Strawberry syrup
To make the strawberry butter, process the butter and the strawberries together. Using baking paper or cling wrap, roll the butter into a log and refrigerate or freeze until required.
In a medium bowl, beat the eggs and then add yoghurt and beat gently together. Gradually sift in the flours, mixing gently until just combined. Fold in the smashed strawberries. For maximum fluffiness, rest the mixture for 15-30 minutes at room temperature.
Heat a heavy based frying pan over a medium high heat. Add a teaspoon of butter or a tablespoon of rice bran oil. When the pan is hot, ladle batter into pan (approx. 1/4 cup per pancake), reduce heat to medium low and cook for 3-4 minutes until bubbles form on the surface. Flip, cook for a further 2-3 minutes until golden and cooked through. Repeat.
Peanut butter banana pancakes
Recipe by nutritionist and recipe developer Casey-Lee Lyons from Live Love Nourish for Mayver’s.
- 1 large ripe banana, mashed
- 2 extra-large free range eggs
- 2 Tbsp Mayver’s dark roasted peanut butter
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon (optional)
In a mixing bowl, combine the mashed banana, eggs, peanut butter and cinnamon. Mix well to combine.
Heat a small amount of oil in a frying pan. Spoon mixture onto pan into small pancake shapes. Cook for approximately 2 minutes on both sides, or until cooked through.
To make monkey pancakes, cook different sizes of pancakes to assemble your monkey face. Use 1/4 banana cut into rounds, peanut butter and organic dried fruit to decorate.