Score some brownie points this weekend by whipping up a batch of these chocolate-on-chocolate brownies that are crunchy on the outside and perfectly gooey on the inside. Devour alongside a strong coffee, your favourite tea blend or – if you’re serving these as dessert – an espresso martini.
- 350g caster sugar
- 80g Dutch-processed cocoa powder, sifted, plus extra for dusting (optional)
- 150g plain flour, sifted
- 1 tsp baking powder, sifted
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 200g unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 125g dark cooking chocolate (70% cocoa), roughly chopped
- Ice cream, to serve (optional)
- Icing sugar, for dusting (optional)
Preheat the oven to 160°C. Butter or spray and line a 20cm square 5cm deep baking tin with baking paper.
Mix the sugar, cocoa powder, flour and baking powder in a large bowl. Add the eggs, butter and vanilla and whisk by hand until combined, then stir in the chocolate.
Pour the batter into the prepared tin and bake for 40 minutes.
Leave to cool slightly in the tin, then turn out onto a wire rack. Cut into nine pieces.
You could serve these warm in the tin with a generous dollop of ice cream or simply dust with cocoa powder or icing sugar. Store leftovers (if there are any!) in an airtight container at room temperature for up to two days.
For more delicious recipes: