Novocastrians Ryan Callinan and Morgan Cibilic will renew their friendly rivalry in the fourth stop on the 2021 World Surf League (WSL) Championship Tour (CT), the Boost Mobile Margaret River Pro presented by Corona.
With a promising swell on offer during this year’s holding period from 2 May to 12 May, the competitors are preparing for huge surf on the opening days of the tournament, making for an exciting return to one of the CT’s most iconic locations.
Merewether duo Callinan and Cibilic, who met in the quarter-final of the Rip Curl Newcastle Cup earlier in the month, will lock horns again in heat nine of the round one match-up.
They’ll be joined by fellow Aussie surfer Adrian Buchan in the upcoming showdown.
When the pair last faced off at Merewether Beach, young gun Cibilic upset his more experienced rival in a hotly-contested battle.
Callinan registered a two-wave total of 10.37 – following efforts of 5.50, 1.97, 4.83, 0.50, 4.17 and 4.87.
Cibilic, for his part, also recorded 10.37 (out of 20) from his six attempts.
But, he progressed to the semi-final with the highest-scoring wave of the heat – a 5.70.
Meanwhile, the men’s CT is on notice in 2021 with two-time WSL champion Gabriel Medina having his best start to a season of his career.
The Brazilian superstar will be looking for a fourth finals appearance in a row when he takes to the water at Main Break.
“I’ve never had a good result here, however I’m keen to keep my momentum going from this strong start I’ve had,” Medina said.
“I’m looking forward to the solid surf that is coming for the event.
“I don’t like heats where there isn’t opportunity for everyone, so with big surf everyone gets a chance to show what they have got.
“I’m ready for anything, I’m not scared of anyone, I just want to perform well.
“I just want to play the game – and I’m looking for a good result.”
Boost Mobile Margaret River Pro Women’s Seeding round 1 match-ups:
- Heat 1: Tatiana Weston-Webb (BRA), Keely Andrew (AUS), Macy Callaghan (AUS)
- Heat 2: Caroline Marks (USA), Malia Manuel (HAW), Amuro Tsuzuki (JPN)
- Heat 3: Carissa Moore (HAW), Nikki Van Dijk (AUS), Willow Hardy (AUS)
- Heat 4: Stephanie Gilmore (AUS), Isabella Nichols (AUS), Brisa Hennessy (CRI)
- Heat 5: Sally Fitzgibbons (AUS), Tyler Wright (AUS), Sage Erickson (USA)
- Heat 6: Courtney Conlogue (USA), Johanne Defay (FRA), Bronte Macaulay (AUS)
Boost Mobile Margaret River Pro Men’s Seeding round 1 match-ups:
- Heat 1: Kanoa Igarashi (JPN), Seth Moniz (HAW), Alex Ribeiro (BRA)
- Heat 2: Filipe Toledo (BRA), Peterson Crisanto (BRA), Connor O’Leary (AUS)
- Heat 3: John John Florence (HAW), Michel Bourez (FRA), Mikey Wright (AUS)
- Heat 4: Jordy Smith (ZAF), Jadson Andre (BRA), Reef Heazlewood (AUS)
- Heat 5: Italo Ferreira (BRA), Jack Robinson (AUS), Jacob Willcox (AUS)
- Heat 6: Gabriel Medina (BRA), Adriano de Souza (BRA), Cyrus Cox (AUS)
- Heat 7: Conner Coffin (USA), Wade Carmichael (AUS), Matthew McGillivray (ZAF)
- Heat 8: Griffin Colapinto (USA), Jack Freestone (AUS), Leonardo Fioravanti (ITA)
- Heat 9: Ryan Callinan (AUS), Morgan Cibilic (AUS), Adrian Buchan (AUS)
- Heat 10: Frederico Morais (PRT), Julian Wilson (AUS), Miguel Pupo (BRA)
- Heat 11: Jeremy Flores (FRA), Owen Wright (AUS), Deivid Silva (BRA)
- Heat 12: Yago Dora (BRA), Caio Ibelli (BRA), Ethan Ewing (AUS)