https://www.xxzza1.com
14.7 C
Newcastle

Baths’ consultation brought forward

SHARE

City of Newcastle has brought forward planned engagement on the Newcastle and Merewether ocean baths’ pavilions following community interest in the sites’ futures.

The council sought Expressions of Interest (EOI) last month for a potential partnership to upgrade the bath facilities.

The potential redevelopments could see restaurants, recreational and community facilities, and other services introduced at the sites.

Since the opening of EOIs, many community members have expressed their concerns and called for more consultation.

Newcastle Lord Mayor Nuatali Nelmes said the engagement was brought forward from 2020 to allow the community to provide feedback while interest was high.

“Given the interest by the community and their recent concern around the future of the sites, City of Newcastle is bringing forward from next year its planned engagement program, allowing the community to have their say in a structured and meaningful way,” she said.

According Cr Nelmes, the council is committed to retaining the iconic exterior of Newcastle Ocean Baths, and the famous bleacher seating.

It plans to improve the amenities by providing improved shade, car parking and disability access, as well as new public change rooms with hot water showers.

Cr Nelmes said “doing nothing on these sites is not an option”.

The EOI period for the Newcastle and Merewether ocean baths closes on Tuesday 17 December. Visit newcastle.nsw.gov.au for more.

More stories:

More Stories

Newcastle Weekly

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe to Newcastle Weekly. News, Community, Lifestyle, Property delivered direct to your inbox! 100% Local, 100% Free.

You have Successfully Subscribed!