11.3 C

ALW GALLERY: Match officials jeered from field as Jets lose 3-0


When the match officials are jeered from the field at the break and again at full-time, it says a lot about the state of play.

But, sadly, that’s what the A-League Women’s semi-final dished up at the Maitland Regional Sportsground on Sunday 20 April when the Newcastle Jets slumped to a 3-0 loss to Melbourne City.

Instead of witnessing a free-flowing play-off, almost 7,000 spectators were treated to a disappointing stop-start affair, where one side – the hosts – was apparently twice as ill-disciplined as the other.

Newcastle also copped four yellow cards to Lara Gooch (43rd minute), Emma Dundas (68th), Sophie Hoban (75th) and coach Ryan Campbell (90th).

Newcastle Jets skipper Cassidy Davis was in the thick of things on Sunday. Photo: Michael Gorton Images

“We didn’t get the rub of the green, did we?” he said afterwards.

“That was a tough game.

“We found it difficult to put them under pressure.

“However, it was also made hard by the person in the middle.

“The nature of the match didn’t allow us to get going at all.

“I think the fouls were 20-9 against us.

“So, I felt there were definite decisions, which didn’t go in our favour, and really allowed Melbourne to control the game in that way.

“Don’t get me wrong, City played well, I’m not taking anything away from them.

“But, I believe they also received a big helping hand.”

On a positive note, Campbell said he was delighted by the response to Newcastle’s maiden semi-final appearance at Maitland.

The attendance figure broke the sportsground’s record.

“I know the girls appreciated it,” he told the Newcastle Weekly.

“They love this feeling of being part of it all.

“It’s a credit to everyone who got behind the team.

“The players do all the right things, so they deserve it.

“They even stayed around straight after the match to meet the young fans, pose for photos and sign autographs.

“So, yeah, the crowd was awesome.

“It’s just a shame they didn’t see the Jets at their best, only glimpses of it.

“At least we’ll know what to expect next weekend… and be better prepared.”

Newcastle enjoyed the best of the opening exchanges, however it was Melbourne who grabbed the 1-0 lead, via Daniela Galic.

City then suffered a setback when an injured Karly Roestbakken departed the arena.

Gooch launched into a shot in the 27th minute, only to see goalie do Monte Barbosa block it.

The Jets unleashed a couple of late strikes but the scoreline remained 1-0 in Melbourne’s favour.

Gooch went close again after the interval.

However, City broke the locals’ hearts with another goal, this time to Emina Ekic, for a 2-0 advantage.

Shelby McMahon then did it all by herself, slotting past Tiahna Robertson, to seal the 3-0 victory.

Newcastle refused to relent but just couldn’t find the back of the net.

The Jets now travel to Melbourne for the return leg.

A-League Women’s semi-finals – leg two

  • Saturday 27 April: 3pm, Sydney FC v Central Coast Mariners at Leichhardt Oval
  • Sunday 28 April: 1pm, Melbourne City v Newcastle Jets at AAMI Park

Grand final

  • Saturday 4 May: SF winner v SF winner

For more sports stories:

Get all the latest Newcastle news, sport, real estate, entertainment, lifestyle and more delivered straight to your inbox with the Newcastle Weekly Daily Newsletter. Sign up here.

More Stories

Newcastle Weekly

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe to Newcastle Weekly. News, Community, Lifestyle, Property delivered direct to your inbox! 100% Local, 100% Free.

You have Successfully Subscribed!