https://www.xxzza1.com
11.6 C
Newcastle

$750,000 reward for information into 2005 murder of Newcastle woman Roslyn Reay

SHARE

A $750,000 reward is being offered for information into the murder of Newcastle woman Roslyn Reay nearly two decades ago.

On Sunday 3 April 2005, officers from then Newcastle City Local Area Command were called to a home on Laman Street, Cooks Hill, over concerns for welfare of the female who lived there.

On arrival, a family member found the woman dead inside with multiple stab wounds.

She has since been identified as Roslyn Reay, aged 52.

Roslyn Reay

Despite exhaustive investigations by local police under Strike Force Oro, no one has been charged for her murder.

In 2021, a formal review of the case was conducted under the State Crime Command Homicide Squad’s Unsolved Homicide framework and a re-investigation commenced by detectives attached to Strike Force Oro 2.

To assist with ongoing investigations, the NSW Government has announced a reward of $750,000 for information, which leads to the arrest and conviction of the person or persons responsible for Ms Reay’s death.

Homicide Squad Commander Detective Superintendent Danny Doherty said Unsolved Homicide Unit detectives had been re-analysing evidence collected over the past 18 years as part of the renewed investigation.

“Roslyn was a well-liked and respected member of the Newcastle community and for her life to be cut short in such a violent manner was a shock to the neighbourhood,” he stated.

“Through our investigations with the renewed strike force, we have been going back through all evidence collated, including forensic material, to ensure we leave no stone unturned.

“We are hoping this reward may spark someone’s memory who may have spoken to or associated with Roslyn in the March of 2005, and may be able to help us piece together her final movements.”

Ms Reay’s daughter, Mandii, said she hopes the reward would encourage anyone who may be holding onto vital information to finally speak up.

“Mum was such a gentle soul, who’s greatest joy was derived from helping others,” she explained.

“To think her final moments were so horrible is heartbreaking, it haunts me to this day.

“The past 18 years have been extremely challenging for mum’s friends and family.

“I hope speaking out now jogs someone’s memory and can help us find out what happened to her.”

Anyone with information that may assist Strike Force Oro 2 investigators is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

For more news stories:

Get all the latest Newcastle news, sport, real estate, entertainment, lifestyle and more delivered straight to your inbox with the Newcastle Weekly Daily Newsletter. Sign up here.

More Stories

Newcastle Weekly

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe to Newcastle Weekly. News, Community, Lifestyle, Property delivered direct to your inbox! 100% Local, 100% Free.

You have Successfully Subscribed!